Pages

Friday, August 8, 2014

2014-2015 Classroom Decor: Superheroes


As some of you already know, I have taken a job in a different district this year. I was at my previous school for my first two years of teaching, but it just was not a positive place for me to be working. Based on my own feelings, I knew that I needed to get somewhere different. While I would eventually like to work in the district where we live, I understand it might be difficult until I make some connections. Until then, I will now be working in the district that I attended school and graduated from, and I am thrilled to be back. As I begin new teach training on Monday (marking the official end to my summer), I decided to spend this week getting my classroom decorated and mostly put together. I had a lot of help from my parents and sister-in-law, too. I thought I would share some pictures and ideas to help out with my fellow teachers who might want some different decor ideas.

This year I decided on a superhero theme. I am teaching seventh grade, and with all of the new superhero movies out lately, it seemed like a great idea to incorporate something that they would enjoy. My parents helped a lot with these buildings. My dad drew and cut them, and my mom and sister-in-law helped me put them up on the wall. The original idea came from THIS picture on Pinterest.

I am not thrilled with the placement of my desk this year. When we got there, it was actually facing the back wall, so I knew that was not going to work. Since it has to stay in the back based on where my computer plugs in, I decided to turn it sideways so my back would never be to the students. Of course, one of the legs of the desk is broken, so the desk pretty much fell on my legs before my mom managed to grab it and help me put it back together.

It took quite a while to decide what I wanted to do with this bulliten board. It's attached to one of the white boards, but the projector screen will cover it whenever it is down (which in middle school, will be a lot). Since we have an AVID program that focuses on encouraging students early to plan to go to college, I decided to use this space to put up some college pendants left behind by the teacher previously in my classroom.

This is the side board, so I knew I wanted to dress it up a bit more since I probably would not write on it as much. The top is bulliten board, so I put up some superhero banner. On this one, I used posters that talk about root words, prefixes, and suffixes. I also added the banner on the bottom. On the front board, there is also superhero banner, but it has reading strategy  posters instead.

The bookshelf I bought for my first classroom ended up getting broken by my students last year, so I was worried I would have to spend the money on a new one. When I got to my new room though, there were already two metal ones like this. The other is empty, and will be used for textbooks, but here is my classroom library. This year I decided to label all of the books so that I could use a check out/in system if students wanted to borrow my books to read at home.

This is, by far, one of my favorite things in my classroom. I saw THIS picture on Pinterest, and decided I wanted to try to make it. However, my mom had a better idea. We have a friend that is amazingly talented. He made a Winnie the Pooh and Piglet for my parents grandchildren nursery, so we decided to have him make a Hulk for us, instead of making him out of tissue paper. He looks better than I had imagined, and I think that my students will love it. I also purchased and added the black table by the door for students to pick up assignments and turn in homework.

Well, that's the majority of the decor in my room. There are a few smaller things that cannot be seen in these pictures, but I don't want to bombard you all with a million classroom pictures. I still have quite a bit of organizing to do, but for now I am feeling pretty good about everything.


No comments:

Post a Comment